When my horse is showing signs of discomfort, what steps should I take?
- The first step is to be sure that there is no physical injury or wound.
- Checking the teeth and gums is important; here is a link that will explain in detail.
- A blood sample may be necessary.
- Look where you are sitting! Here is an article on the danger of a badly-fitting saddle.
- A check by your osteopath could be advisable. Some thermographic images might help him.
- Hoof trimming and/or a blacksmith’s care
Then, if everything is in order and your horse is still showing signs of discomfort, one can consider the emotional component by listening and observing.